Saturday, March 19, 2016

Station VIII: Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem

Lamentations 4:11-14

The Lord has exhausted his anger,
Tissot, Jacques, 1836-1902. The Daughters of Jerusalem.
    poured out his blazing wrath;
He has kindled a fire in Zion
    that has consumed her foundations.
The kings of the earth did not believe,
    nor any of the world’s inhabitants,
That foe or enemy could enter
    the gates of Jerusalem.
Except for the sins of her prophets
    and the crimes of her priests,
Who poured out in her midst
    the blood of the just.
They staggered blindly in the streets,
    defiled with blood,
So that people could not touch
    even their garments:

Psalm 71:1-3, 6

In you, Lord, I take refuge;
    let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue and deliver me;
    listen to me and save me!
Be my rock of refuge,
    my stronghold to give me safety;
    for you are my rock and fortress.
On you I have depended since birth;
    from my mother’s womb you are my strength;
    my hope in you never wavers.

Luke 23:28-31

“Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep instead for yourselves and for your children, for indeed, the days are coming when people will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.’ At that time people will say to the mountains, ‘Fall upon us!’ and to the hills, ‘Cover us!’ for if these things are done when the wood is green what will happen when it is dry?”

No comments:

Post a Comment