Sunday, March 13, 2016

Station II: Jesus Bears his Cross

Isaiah 53:4-6

Yet it was our pain that he bore,
    our sufferings he endured.
We thought of him as stricken,
    struck down by God and afflicted,
But he was pierced for our sins,
    crushed for our iniquity.
He bore the punishment that makes us whole,
    by his wounds we were healed.
We had all gone astray like sheep,
    all following our own way;
But the Lord laid upon him
    the guilt of us all.

Psalm 40:2-4

Surely, I wait for the Lord;
    who bends down to me and hears my cry,
Draws me up from the pit of destruction,
    out of the muddy clay,
Sets my feet upon rock,
    steadies my steps,
And puts a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn to our God.
Many shall look on in fear
    and they shall trust in the Lord.

Mark 8:34-35

“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it."

Tissot, Jacques, 1836-1902. Jesus Bearing the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment