Sunday, April 13, 2014

Holy Monday

Mary took a liter of costly perfumed oil made from genuine aromatic nard and anointed the feet of Jesus and dried them with her hair; the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.    John 12:3

Acts of penance cannot impress the Lord or win pardon for sins; it is only as signs of a contrite and humbled spirit that the actions accompanying our repentance are pleasing sacrifices.

Psalm 51 [50]
Miserere mei, Deus, secundum magnam misericordiam tuam; 
Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy. 

et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum dele iniquitatem meam.
and according to the multitude of thy mercies blot out my iniquity.

Amplius lava me ab iniquitate mea et a peccato meo munda me. 
Wash me yet more from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 

Quoniam iniquitatem meam ego cognosco, et peccatum meum contra me est semper.
For my iniquity I know, and my sin is before me always.

Tibi soli peccavi et malum coram te feci, ut iustificeris in sermonibus tuis et vincas cum iudicaveris. 
To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou mayst be justified in thy words and mayst overcome when thou art judged. 

Ecce enim in iniquitatibus conceptus sum, et in peccatis concepit me mater mea.
For behold in iniquities I was conceived, and in sins did my mother conceive me.

Ecce enim veritatem dilexisti: incerta et occulta sapientiae tuae manifestasti mihi. 
For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me. 

Asperges me hysopo, et mundabor; lavabis me, et super nivem dealbabor.
Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.

Auditui meo dabis gaudium et laetitiam, et exultabunt ossa humiliata.

To my hearing thou shalt give joy and gladness, and the bones that have been humbled shall rejoice. 

Averte faciem tuam a peccatis meis et omnes iniquitates meas dele.
Turn away thy face from my sins, and all my iniquities blot out.

Cor mundum crea in me, Deus, et spiritum firmum innova in visceribus meis. 
A clean heart create in me, O God, and renew a right spirit within my bowels. 

Ne proicias me a facie tua et spiritum sanctum tuum ne auferas a me.
Cast me not away from thy face and thy holy spirit take not from me.

Redde mihi laetitiam salutaris tui et spiritu principale confirma me. 
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and strengthen me with a perfect spirit. 

Docebo iniquos vias tuas, et impii ad te convertentur.
I will teach the unjust thy ways, and the wicked shall be converted to thee.

Libera me de sanguinibus, Deus, Deus salutis meae, et exsultabit lingua mea iustitiam tuam. 
Deliver me from blood, O God, thou God of my salvation, and my tongue shall extol thy justice. 

Domine, labia mea aperies, et os meum annuntiabit laudem tuam.
O Lord, thou wilt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare thy praise.

Quoniam si voluisses sacrificum, dedissem utique; holocaustis non delectaberis.
For if thou hadst desired sacrifice, I would indeed have given it; with burnt offerings thou wilt not be delighted. 

Sacrificium Deo spiritus contribulatus; cor contritum et humiliatum, Deus, non dispicies.
A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a heart contrite and humbled, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Benigne fac, Domine, in bona voluntate tua Sion; ut aedificentur muri Hierusalem. 
Deal favorably, O Lord, in thy good will with Sion; that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.

Tunc acceptabis sacrificium iustitiae, oblationes et holocausta; tunc imponent super altare tuum vitulos.
Then shalt thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings; then shall they lay calves upon thy altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment