Monday, August 4, 2014

Becoming Canonical

The novitiate, with which life in the Institute is begun, is arranged so that the novices can take better measure of the divine vocation, which is proper to the Institute, experience its style of life, and be formed in mind and heart according to its spirit.
OMV Constitutions, Article 57

This evening marks the beginning of my life as a religious. As a novice, I am now considered to be part of the religious institute although not yet a full member and I live the counsels of poverty, chastity, and obedience although I have not yet taken public vows.

For many religious institutes, novitiate includes receiving a habit (generally a form distinct from that of professed members), but in the OMV tradition the habit is not invested until the profession of vows. (Although, FYI, a novice who dies before completing novitiate is accorded burial in a habit and the funeral rites of a religious).

Our novitiate begins with a simple ceremony during Compline that consists of a statement of intention and acceptance by the master of novices on behalf of the community.

-What do you ask of us?

Brothers, I wish to live your way of life, and I am willing to be tested. I am committed to following Jesus Christ wholeheartedly under the guidance of the Blessed Virgin Mary and this community, according to the Constitutions and Norms of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. In doing so, I trust that the Lord will reveal and accomplish in me his holy will. 
My God, fully aware of my weakness, I pray: confirm within me this holy resolve.
Mary, I place myself and this novitiate year into your hands, so that you may bring me to God.
Brothers, I ask for your assistance and prayers.

-May the Lord grant you his help

Reception of Novices for OMV Novitiate

The novitiate year is designated by canon law as a (minimally) 365-day period that must precede public vows in a religious institute. It is characterized by fuller participation in a religious community, prayer, growth in virtue, and the study of religious life and the charism proper to the institute.

As a novice, I continue to participate in the life of the community through designated times of community prayer, work, and recreation and by accepting more responsibilities within the congregation. I will also begin a life of poverty by giving up my personal financial resources and becoming fully dependent on others for sustenance.

Prayer is the crux of the novitiate year. Because of the institute's Ignatian charism, the Oblate novitiate is heavily imbued with Ignatian prayer. Silence and an "electronic media fast" broken only on Sundays are important components. Daily meditations on the Gospels using the disciplines of Ignatian meditation and contemplation, spiritual direction, periodic days of retreat and recollection, and the complete Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius in the 30-day retreat are also universally employed. Personal prayers and devotions such as the general and particular Examen, meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary, visits to the Blessed Sacrament, Akathist hymns, etc. fill in the balance of my daily prayer.

Although it is not an academic year strictly speaking, there is spiritual reading assigned on a weekly basis and discussed in daily conferences and also reading and conferences for practical instruction on the religious life and the Constitutions and Norms of the Oblates. 

Work is a less emphasized yet integral part of novitiate. Assignments to household tasks, maintenance projects, and assistance in apostolic work are invaluable for learning to live as a religious in community.

I am very excited for tonight! I have been very confirmed in the call to religious life over the past two years and it is exciting to be taking the first step. I may not be able to post again before Sunday, but I'm sure there will be much to tell. 

3 comments:

  1. Could you explain more about the OMV charism. In reading about the order it appears to me that there are several. However, perhaps I'm misinterpreting or missing the larger umbrella that everything falls under. Thanks and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, Nathan. It's great to hear how your life in the community is beginning to take shape. Most of this is no surprise to Papa and me, however, we are anxious to learn the particulars of your order. It certainly seems that you have a great community and you certainly have great examples to follow in Fr. Lanteri and, certainly, St. Ignatius left a great legacy of prayer, self-examination, etc. I'm sure God will grant you every necessary grace to travel the road He sets before you. You're always in our prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slightly morbid factoid there... Good to know that you don't have to select a funeral outfit. LOL!

    Praying for a year of blessings for you. Please keep the updates coming as you learn more and more so we can stay up to speed.
    XO

    ReplyDelete