Sunday, September 2, 2012

Listen to the Sound... (of Silence)

I have been interested in making a silent retreat for a while, and I finally have; I guess all I had to do was go to seminary first. It was a great experience, and I enjoyed the silence and meditation so much I almost wish classes weren't about to start... almost!
The retreat was patterned on an Ignatian structure: I had four scripture passages assigned every day for 60 minutes of meditation. The structure was free within the daily framework, but was more or less two morning and two afternoon reflection periods unless you wanted to be up extremely early or extremely late. Every day we had Lauds 6 am, Mass at noon, Vespers at 6 pm, and a scheduled one-hour meeting with your retreat director, otherwise it was complete silence for four days.

There isn't much more to tell (unless you are really interested in my deeply personal reflections), but I snapped a few shots of St. Joseph's before leaving so I can at least give you a virtual tour.

       
St. Joseph's House is a century-old mansion that the Oblates have gradually renovated to serve as a retreat house for Ignatian retreats. 

    
St. Mary's Chapel is a small structure recently added on the grounds to augment two interior chapels. We had noon Mass, 5 pm holy hour with adoration, and vespers out there every day.

     
The entrance way and grand staircase.

Undoubtedly the most awkward part of a silent retreat: trying to eat silently and avoid eye contact in the refectory.

The library- where I spent most of my time outside of prayer reading Tolkien, Lewis, Sheen, and the Lives of the Saints.

A recently added solarium that extends off the library. It provides an outdoor panorama and it is used as overflow dining and reading space and for spiritual direction. 

The upstairs chapel where I prayed Lauds at 6 am.

 One of the deluxe retreat accommodations, as compared to...

the postulants' retreat rooms, which I did not fail to notice are in the old servants quarters. However, they are quite a bit more luxurious than I imagine they were a century ago. 


Last of all, the attic chapel right above my room. A very peaceful place for contemplation, except on Saturday (when Logan's landing flights were roaring over every 10-15 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment