Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Year in Review

It is hard to believe I am already starting my second year of formation with the Oblates! Time has flown by and it doesn't seem it will slow down any time soon. While having a memorable introduction to philosophy and my first apostolate assignment, I had a lot of time to adjust to the rhythm of life of Oblate formation, a rhythm that somehow remained fairly steady despite disasteraccident, and tragedy.

To complete the best year of my life I returned to Michigan for the Summer and spent a lot of time catching up with family and friends...  
                                                                                                  

and of course plenty of good beer. I was blessed to have a three-day trip back to Boston with my parents and am now gearing up for another year of surprises!

There are some ways in which this year will have fewer surprises- the daily life of formation will be more or less similar to last year- but there will be new classes and different classmates.

Because the shock of a major change and new lifestyle will be less, there is also great potential for this to be a year of great spiritual growth. Along this vein, I plan to focus my posts more on my life of formation than on remarkable events (there will still be some trips, but, please God, less terrorism).

I will hopefully be able to offer some insight into formation as a religious in general and a little of my own in particular, possibly starting with some excerpts and comments on Pastores Dabo Vobis (Bl. John Paul II's apostolic exhortation on priestly formation) and the Our Lady of Grace Handbook for postulant formation.

There may also be some tidbits from courses: Among other classes I will be taking Metaphysics, Documents of Vatican II, and History of Christian Spirituality, so I am certain there will be many interesting new things to share.

Today is the feast of St. Bartholomew, aka Nathaniel

It promises to be a remarkable year in many ways: in the near future I am looking forward to meeting Oblates from all over the Americas who will be here for a formation conference in a few weeks, celebrating the titular feast of the congregation, and Pope Francis' consecration of the world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary on 13 October.


No comments:

Post a Comment