Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Eparch and the Cenobite

After a modest celebration in honor of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, (my classmate who is Slovak and I tracked down some pivo; not surprisingly, few others even knew who we were talking about) I felt inspired to share about their significance for me.
Until recently, my knowledge went little beyond knowing that Papa referred to them all the time and I was almost named Methodius. However, some major changes in life experiences of brotherhood and missionary work have added some perspective. 

Brotherhood's teasing and nitpicking in the early years sometimes seemed to be more trouble than it was worth, and I think I really under-appreciated the time we had together while growing up. As many good times as there have been, I have come to realize more how difficult it is to maintain those relationships as we age. That said, time doesn't level all lumps and I think just the fact that these brothers worked together diligently unencumbered by jealousy or discord shows heroic virtue. 

While I have not gone beyond missionary-lite in hospital ministry, I have still learned a great deal about what it means to bring the Gospel of Christ to those who have little or no hope and may not realize their need. But mine is the work of "revanglization," and I stand on the shoulders of giants who developed systematic theology and learned to express the Gospel in new languages that had never spoken of a Triune God or the remission of sins - work pioneered by the Holy Brothers who brought the Word to forty percent of Europe in a tongue that had never been used for Christian rites. 

So, having encountered some of the difficulties of growing in the Christian life, I can better appreciate the heroism of the Svätých Bratia and have more reasons to say 'na zdrovie!' today and ask for the blessings of Svätí Kiril i Metoda.

No comments:

Post a Comment